Rule #1: maximize time on skis. Every time down the hill you learn something!
- Watch a skiing YouTube video.
- Go down the hill without hurting yourself.
- Keep skis together (easier said than done) and put weight on the downhill / outside ski.
- Should be able to lift inside ski off the snow. Rotate hips, tighten core.
- Rotate around the inside pole, not the outside! Use it to lift weight and shift.
- Mogul drills: point out each mogul with pole and negotiate them half-speed.
- Don’t land on top of moguls to control speed. Moguls are a horizontal obstacle. Center of gravity goes over mogul, skis go around.
- Weight transfer up and down to shift skis side to side. Center of gravity travels in a straight line.
- Get off your heels. Press toes of foot on the outside ski. Ski on the ball of outside foot.
- Inside ski with no weight goes forward of outside ski. Do this by pushing inside knee forward with hip flexor.
We took a family ski vacation to Stowe, Vermont last week. Stowe was awesome and the vacation was perfect. The snow came just in time.
I hadn’t skied since 1995, so I started from scratch and took notes. It was a blast and I’m hooked. Next time I go I want to pick up where I left off, so here is what I learned: