How Many Joules?
- 2,000 food Calories = 8.4 million joules = approximate energy usage of the human body in one day
- One Tesla Model S battery charge ~ 36x this amount
- One 2017 Honda Civic gas tank ~ 177x this amount
- Typical furnace (100,000 BTU / hr rating) operating for 1 hour ~ 12x this amount
- US energy usage per day (referenced in my post here) ~ 33.5 billion x this amount, or ~ 102x the US population*
- Global energy usage per day (referenced in my post here) ~ 129 billion x this amount, or ~ 17x the global population*
*Relating the energy consumption of the modern world per person to the energy consumption of just the human body by itself is ambiguous, I realize. However, it puts in context the massive numbers that are constantly thrown around in the media on this subject, and consolidates the hype and various units into one unit.
Start at How Many Joules 1