How Many Joules?
- 2,000 food Calories = 8.4 million joules = approximate energy usage of the human body in one day
- One Tesla Model S battery charge ~ 36x this amount
- One 2017 Honda Civic gas tank ~ 177x this amount
- Typical furnace (100,000 BTU / hr rating) operating for 1 hour ~ 12x this amount
- US energy usage per day (referenced in my post here) ~ 33.5 billion x this amount, or ~ 102x the US population*
- Global energy usage per day (referenced in my post here) ~ 129 billion x this amount, or ~ 17x the global population*
*Relating the energy consumption of the modern world per person to the energy consumption of just the human body by itself is ambiguous, I realize. However, it puts in context the massive numbers that are constantly thrown around in the media on this subject, and consolidates the hype and various units into one unit.